History and Services
The Sparta Group, LLC., has been representing professional baseball players since 1980. Over this time, we have developed what we believe is a unique and effective approach to the representation of professional athletes. This philosophy revolves around a number of factors, the most central of which are listed below:
- Nate McLouth's 2013, two year, guaranteed $10.75 million contract with the Nationals makes him the best paid "4th" outfielder in baseball.
- Matt Lindstrom's 2012, two year, $6.3 million contract with the Chicago White Sox represented the 3rd and 4th consecutive years that Matt was paid in excess of $3 million per year as a set-up reliever.
- Matt Lindstrom's 2010, two year, guaranteed $6.6 million contract with the Colorado Rockies done while still only a 4 year play made him one of the highest paid set-up men in baseball.
- Mike Cameron's 2 year 2010, guaranteed $15.5 million dollar contract with the Red Sox brought Mike over the $70 million mark in salary earned over his career.
- Nate McLouth's 2009, 3-year plus option guaranteed contract, worth up to $26.9 million, was the largest contract ever given to a Pittsburgh Pirate player prior to his free agency.
- Troy Glaus' 2006, re-negotiated five-year, guaranteed $56.95 million contract with the Toronto Blue Jays made him the second highest paid Third Baseman in baseball ($11.39 million per year), despite having missed over one hundred games a year earlier due to injury.
- Mike Cameron's 2004, four-year, $26 million guaranteed contract with the New York Mets was widely regarded in the industry as an outstanding deal, given his performance and the contracts given to comparable players.
- Troy Glaus' 2001 four-year, $23 million contract with the Anaheim Angels was the most lucrative deal ever given to a two-year player, eclipsing the previous deal by over $4 million.
- Jeff Davanon's 2005, arbitration contract with the Anaheim Angels was praised by the Major League Baseball Players' Association for raising the salary level for first time arbitration eligible 4th outfielders.
- Julio Zuleta's 2006, two-year plus option guaranteed contract worth $11.1 million with the Chiba Lotte Marines made him the third highest paid player in the entire Japanese Pacific League.
- Pokey Reese's 2000 arbitration contract with the Cincinnati Reds for $1.95 million, which garnered him a 622% raise, represented the highest percentage raise given to an arbitration eligible player that year
- Tom Henke's 1993, three-year, $8.53 million contract with the Texas Rangers made him the highest paid reliever in Baseball history.
- Pedro Feliciano's 2007, $602,000 contract was the largest one-year deal done by a two-year player in 2007.
- Johnny Oliver's 1996 Amateur Signing Bonus Contract for $672,000 with the Cincinnati Reds represented the highest singing bonus ever given to a Reds draft player.
- Frank Viola's 1988, three-year contract with the Minnesota Twins made him the first $3 million per year player in Baseball history.
As noted above, Julio Zuleta's 2006, two-year plus option guaranteed contract worth $11.1 million with the Chiba Lotte Marines made him the third highest paid player in the entire Japanese Pacific League.
Following an outstanding season in Japan in 2005, we negotiated a one year Major League contract for left-handed reliever Pedro Feliciano with the New York Mets. Pedro finished the 2006 season with the 3rd best ERA amongst National League relievers.
Tsuyoshi Shinjo's 2003, two-year, $1.85 million guaranteed contract with the New York Mets made him the FIRST Japanese position player in history to sign a Major League contract in the United States. We are proud to have negotiated such a landmark contract.
The 1995 contracts of Australian amateur free agents Matthew Gourlay ($500,000) and Chad Needle ($525,000) represented the second and third highest signing bonuses EVER given to an Australian Free Agent. In addition to the above Major League contracts, we negotiate winter baseball contracts every year with teams from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and Venezuela.